Saturday, November 1, 2008

Call Me...'Republican Party Volunteer'

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. What is wrong with me?! I wait till a few days before the BIG election and get this bright idea..."I wonder if my 'party' needs any help?" Better late than never I guess.

Yesterday morning I was busy doing errands when the 'lightbulb' went off. (I'm always getting these 'bright' ideas, and take on 'another' thing to add to the gazillion things I aready do....but I must say, I'm so glad I did it!!!!) I picked up my iphone, and immediately got the directions to the nearest Republican Party campaign office. I walked in and asked if they needed any help. The welcoming smiles and enthusiastic exclamations won me over, and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers, a cricket cell phone in my hand, and a stack (a HUGE stack, *no exaggeration*) of phone numbers to call. My script went as follows...."Hi, my name is Lorraine, I am a republican party volunteer, and I am just calling you to remind you to vote on Tuesday November 4th. Along with voting for John McCain, and YES on prop 8, I wanted to remind you that the polls close at 8 p.m.. Can we count on your vote this Tuesday? Thank you for your time and have a FABulous day. (The "FABulous day" part was my idea. hehe) I must have said that at least a thousand times.

Although I was in a room with total strangers, I felt such a camaraderie. We all had the same passion and mission. At one point, a man who I later found out is a local store owner walked in and gave one of the ladies some money and said "Please take this money and buy everyone in this room lunch." I was so moved as I looked around the room. On one side of me an 'executive-type' well-dressed man my age, on the other side a senior citizen female (Who must have had a bag of onions for lunch. I was praying that Mr. Executive didn't think that was me!!), on the other side of the table, two very well spoken college age guys intensely working. In and out they came. A mother with four kids came in, and while the mother and older daughter made phone calls, her three sons were putting together 'YES on 8' yard signs. On and on I can go. Through out the course of the day the 'volunteer' traffic never ceased. As one volunteer would end their 'shift' another would come and take over. I was VERY touched, and thankful. With our corrupt media, sometimes it feels like no one else in the world has any morals! These people ACTUALLY were doing what they could to stop the demoralization of our country! Before the day was over I made a lot of new friends, and began to feel something stirring inside of me. These people gave me a gift. HOPE. Grounds for believing that something good can happen. This all may sound very dramatic. (It's just in my nature :) No really....I am VERY patriotic, and this election has really had a profound effect on me....(and it's not even over!) Okay, back to the 'hope' thing. The old proverb is really true.....it is human nature to always find fresh cause for optimism. I really don't know if I 'found' it or these dear strangers found it and 'voluntarily' gave it to me,... I'm just thankful for the gift!

10 comments:

Susan Hill said...

Good for you, Lorraine!!! I heard recently that a pastor told his congregation, "I would never tell you who to vote for, of course, you can vote for Senator Obama or SISTER Palin!" LOL

James Wilder said...

How awesome and a great idea to become involved in our civil process of government! I may attend a Prop 8 dinner party on Tuesday (after church of course!) at the Hyatt here in Sacramento. C&C has been covering each proposition for the last 9 days, and up until Election Day.

TRC Rockers said...

What a wonderful gift you've your community. Thanks for the idea!

Music Eloquence said...

That was a great idea and I thank you and respect you for helping our party.

Unknown said...

Sis. Bertram,

Love, love, love this and love your header also!!! So True!!! That has been my whole theme this election. Obama sounds just way too much like Hitler to suit me. :) Love y'all.

Blessings,
Anna E.

Monica Hassas said...

Sis. Bertram - Awesome post, and thanks for the inspiration!

Lorraine Bertram said...

Susan, James, Jessica, Daughter V, Anna, and new friend Monica,

This was a great experience for me. This will be something I do again and again!

Thanks for all your sweet comments!

Janell said...

sounds like blast!! Don't you love that feeling of helping someone or giving yourself to a good cause? It's fulfilling, rewarding, and makes one feel more optimistic about our declining society. Glad to hear there are some decent folks down in San Diego! (besides your own stellar selves, that is!! ;)

Mary Frances said...

OMW!!! I hope you are not one of the people I have hung up on! LOL Don't worry I am voting Rupublican! :) I left a comment below on what you wrote about your daughters birthday. (I go to Bro. Abbott's church in AZ) Anyways if you have a chance come check out my sight. It is writings special for Apostolic young people. Maryfranceswriting.blogspot.com

Lorraine M. said...

That is soo amazing that you volunteered. I should have done that too but didnt really think about it. I stumbled onto your blog and realized that we have the same name! how awesome are we!! I remember your husband preaching at our church for Conqueors conference in 2001. That year still remains a fond memory. I also went to JCM with your neice Amber. Sis Bertram....Blog on!!!