Saturday, November 15, 2008

Family Traditions - "I never want to stop Mom"

Tonight was our annual Family Christmas Decorating Night. When my husband and I were first married, we felt the need to start our very own personal family traditions, that included only us and our children. So, when our children were itsy-bitsy, we began birthing these very important memory-making times. One of them is our Annual Christmas decorating night. Every year, I make a delish home cooked meal, (this year we went out to dinner in Alpine...) and we ALL decorate the house for Christmas. After dinner while the aroma of baking cookies is floating around the house,we decorate to the sound of Christmas music turned up so loud the neighbors whistle to it! LOL
Have the decorations always looked picture perfect? NO. Would Martha Stewart want to hire our little decorators? NO. Would you trade your family-decorated Christmas house for a another? NEVER!!
This has been a night that has been so sweet and precious to me, and I knew my kids enjoyed it, but tonight I found out just how much....
Jonathan (My 22 Year Old Son) said "Mom, I want to always do this". ('This' meaning the decorating tradition.) I looked at him kind of funny and wondered why he would say that since we do it every year...I said, "Jonathan we do it every year"...He then looked at me and said..."No Mom, you don't understand. I mean when all 3 of us get married and have kids, I want to still come home and help you and Dad decorate the house. I never want to stop, Mom." I am soooooo proud of myself. I wanted to bawl right then and there. I wanted to throw myself prostrate all over my handsome grown-man son, I wanted to slaver his whole face with Momma kisses, I wanted to tell him he just gave me the greatest gift a son could ever give a Mom! Instead, I swallowed and blinked away the tears in my eyes and very proudly said, "That would be awesome Son."
What a lovely memory making night we had. I am still feeling that warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart as I write this post. Here's to never stopping Family Traditions!

8 comments:

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

That is a great story! I can understand your reaction. I would be over the top happy to hear one of my children say something like that. The little things that make Moms happy!
PS what a cool idea

TRC Rockers said...

Thank you for sharing. Your story brought tears to my eyes! Growing up I had no family traditions but hearing your stoy inspires me to make some with my family. I think I'll copy yours, if you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

lorraine, That was so sweeeet!!!!!
Jhonny will make a GREAT husband one day! I have been in the Christmas mood all week. We took the boy's to go see Christmas Carol and it was sooo good!!! It put my husband in the shopping mood
LOL!! We started a family tradition years ago, every evening after I have spent all day cooking and cleaning up Thanksgiving dinner the Christmas music comes on and I have to go search for the boys to go up in the attic and get all the boxes of decorations out.My favorite part is decorating the mantel with stockings ,garland,light's ect... My boy's grumble when it's time to put the Christmas lights on the house, Last year they took forever and had to take them down and start all over they had them backwards LOL!!! Beau said this year he doesn't believe in light's LOL. Beau and Austin said they will pay to have someone put them up this year!!! I can see Paul getting out his guitar and writing another tear jerking song about mom's and little boy's.

Anonymous said...

I thought I better clarify Christmas Carol was a play!!
LOL!!!!!

Janell said...

Awwwwwww that is so cool!!! My family does the same exact thing, and it's our tradition to do it the Friday after Thanksgiving. This year I'm so excited, because we have a 4th member of the family to help us decorate! ;) (my darling husband!) And since he's never celebrated Christmas before in his life, it should be very humorous and fun!
That's awesome you guys have so much fun together, and I know how your kids feel of looking forward to that tradition. There's nothing else on Earth like it!

Jana Allard said...

Awww, nothing like those precious moments.

Jacqueline Suzanne said...

Awe that awesome! My sunday teacher last year talk to us about traditions at Christmas. She talked about what they mean, why we do it and asked us about ours and what we would like to do. I often think what would I do when I get married and have a family of my own. I pray that one day my kids can say the same as your son did. Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline
~Oh we are excited about this upcoming weekend. We have been looking forward to your family coming to our church!~

Anonymous said...

Sis. Bertram,

I love this story. Joel and I want to make family traditions for our little Trenton. This story makes me want to cry to think that someday my little boy will be in his twenties. I hope he feels the same way as Jonathan about our family traditions.