Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Surgery Update

I am so sorry that I have lagged....with Bri at the City of Hope in the LA area, the drive and dynamics have been a little different.  But GREAT news!

Surgery had been scheduled for late afternoon on Monday, but there was a cancellation, so by noon, Bri was already in surgery.  My husband and I, Chantal, Dad Hoffer, Tia, and little sister Morgan got the call, and raced up early in the morning.  Aunt Jackie and Mom Jeanette were already there, and Grandpa and Grandma Garrido met us all there.  Before surgery the Doctor asked Bri if she had any questions....her response was..."I don't have any questions, but I do have a request.  I want that breathing tube taken out of my mouth BEFORE I wake up!"  Well, that's exactly what happened.  They took the breathing tube out before she woke up, so she was a much happier camper this time waking up.  She continues to blow our mind....an hour after her THIRD brain surgery in 2 1/2 weeks, my husband and I are at her bed side and the THREE of us are TALKING and GIGGLING our heads off!!!!!!!!!  (Briana and I were confessing our sins to our Pastor and telling him how 2 days before we were playing FBI secret agents. (At the City of Hope hospital!)  Running down the halls (literally...yes me her 43 year old pastors wife and our other 2 famous agents Jonathan and Chantal....I will DO ANYTHING to brighten this childs life!!!!  ....besides it was a blast!  LOL)  our hands postured as guns in front of us-- hiding behind pillars, sneaking from one hiding place to another and LAUGHING OUR HEADS OFF!!!!  Johnny would bust through a door ahead of us, do a famous secret agent roll on the ground (you know to avoid flying bullets), make sure it was all clear for 'Nancy, Beth, and George', then we would proceed to find another pillar or hospital cabinet to hide behind...guns drawn of course.  We would get in a single file line holding on to each other like a little secret agent train and peak our four little heads around the corner, and make a bee line for our next destination.  (Never did we imagine that there are cameras all over the hospital, and that we probably had quite an audience!!!!)  Needless to say, my husband was quite enthralled with this latest escapade of his WIFE, kids, and little faithful saint.  (You'd think he'd get used to it after 25 years!)....Bri and I felt much relief as we confessed all!!  
Briana has had QUITE AN APPETITE, and soon after surgery was wondering when they were going to feed her.  She was DESPERATE TO EAT....Later in the evening, I entered the room to the sound of more giggling.....Morgan was filming Chantal feeding Bri her first meal after surgery (yummy lemon jello)....why film that?  Because she was doing the "open your mouth for the airplane Bri Bri,  weeee wee weee here goes the airplane through the sky woooo wooooooo and laaaaannnndddsss in Bri's mouth...crash!!!"  Then tons more giggles as Bri tries to swallow the jello and giggle too.  Bri looked at us and said "I can't believe I'm doing this for jello!"  That evening, City of Hope ICU Ward, was bright with the sunshine of gratefulness and joy, and the beautiful sound of giggles and laughter.....THANK YOU JESUS!
Yesterday Bri was taking short little walks to the bathroom, eating TONS, and only needing Tylenol for pain.  THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!  SHE is insisting on coming home today....we will soon find out what the DOCTORS have to say.  Thank you so much for your prayers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did it" early" this morning?!! Well Thanks for doing these updates for me and the friends and family that love hearing about what is going on with me and Bri. *especially ALL the funny stories*
Well we love you Sis.B and Momma 2!!!! Talk to you soon!!!

Love, Bri and Netters

Mary Frances said...

LOL that was funny!!! We used to do all kinda things like that for my little brother when he was in the hospital! The whole youth group would come and entertain...well and someone brought a FARTING machine for John and well lets just say that was HILARIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

You just made my whole week! Thank you for all your faith and fun. Continued healing for Bri and tell her that her Nipomo girls are cheering loud and hard for her quick recovery and return home. You are all amazing!

Jana Allard said...

Girl, I will be 50 next year and that sounds like something I would do! It is too much fun playing "Cops and Robbers." Glad to hear your patient is such a fighter. That is the best way to recover.

Anonymous said...

WooHoo... I am so excited to here the good news!! I love you my little Bri-na-na!!! Cadence was asking all kinds of questions about Bri and saying how much she loves her and oh momma can we pray for Bri!! She loves you more than you think Bri!!!
Love you all!!!
Margaret, Nick, Cadence and Caden

James Wilder said...

THANK YOU JESUS!

BTW... you're an incredible Pastor's wife! Your whole family is just a shining example of Christianity. Love you guys!

(I like the new pic of you and the hubby)

Bettina said...

AWESOME NEWS!!!! GOD IS SOOOOO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! BRI is SUCH an inspiration to me!!!!

James beat me to it but...I love the new picture of you & Pastor Bertram too!!!!!!

We love you!!!!!!!

Bettina