Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday To My Princess

Today we are celebrating my daughter Chantal’s 15th birthday. I am feeling so many emotions. Where have the years gone? My baby girl is like a beautiful flower blooming in so many ways. She oozes beauty and talent, and has an incredible personality, but what I am most proud of is her heart. Chantal is a real Christian. I watch her ‘work the altars’, and see an anointing and sensitivity way beyond her years. I watch her go out of her way to make people feel comfortable and accepted.

Chantal has also learned what it is to be a real friend. When Chantal’s best friend Briana was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, (caringbridge.org –ourgirlbri) I watched Chantal step into a new dimension of friendship. Chantal decided she was going to go through chemo with Briana the only way she could. She wore bandanas for several months….EVERYWHERE. Not just when she was with Bri, and not the ‘fashionable’ way with cute tendrils of hair falling out. We’re talking NO HAIR SHOWING front or back. (Her school office called us somewhat concerned until we explained.) For hospital visits, Chantal would put pajamas under her street clothes, and the minute we stepped into the room, the clothes were off, and Chantal was in the hospital bed laying next to Briana, her only goal was to make her friend laugh for a little while. When Briana had to go to LA for special treatments, and was not allowed to have any visitors, Chantal would do a computer video chat with Briana and dance and sing ‘their song’
….L-O-V-E , her payoff and most coveted reward was the weak little grin and giggle she would see on the computer screen.

I always wanted to have a daughter, and prayed and prayed for God to grant that request. I must say He exceeded every expectation I ever had. He gave me the most beautiful, incredible daughter any Mother could every wish to have. I am so proud to honor my beautiful daughter Chantal on this very special day. She is most definitely my pride and joy.

12 comments:

James Wilder said...

Happy Birthday, Chantel!

I enjoyed your momma's blog post!

Raquel said...

Oh my Chantallyelly!!! I too, am very proud of her. She's my beautiful, multi-talented and awesome lil' "stister". Tell her I'm sorry I had to leave on her birthday but our date is still on for dinner when I get back home

Kari Morgan said...

OMG you had to go and make me cry...Chantal IS such a true blue christian and one to be proud of. I love you Chantal!

The Girls said...

Happy Birthday ChAnTel!!! You are so fun! super funny! and beautiful! im am so lucky to call you my friend!! =) ..i love you dearly!!.. just like her pastors wife! ;).. love ya Sis. Bertram!

*Kendra H

Lorraine Bertram said...

James-Thanks....it was very heartfelt!

Rockell-Chantal is counting the days till your b-day dinner together!

Kari-....is this Kari Morgan? Thanks for stopping by!

Hey Kendra- Welcome to my blog! I appreciate your sweet words....we think you are pretty awesome yourself!!!!! Love you too!

Olivia Antoinette said...

Happy BIRTHDAY Chantel. LOve you! and miss you and Bri dearly!! Love you Aunt Lorraine

Sammy said...

Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to You Happy Birthday Happy Birthday Happy Birthday to you!! I love you so much Chantal happy belated birthday you truly are everything your mom said you are I love and miss you so much and hope you had the best bday ever cuz u deserve it!!! I'm so proud of you!! :) Hope to be able to make it to WC fri night!! luv ya!!

Sammy Felt

Music Eloquence said...

My dear sweet Chantal... all grown up. Oh how bittersweet it was to see how my little (in my mind still) beautiful blonde headed cousin has grown up and matured in just two years. Wearing high heels no less. I am so proud of you. You are true blue and beautiful inside and out. I know God has some wonderful things in store for you. I mentioned it already in my own blog, but I am so proud of your relationship with God. You know WHO YOU ARE and WHOSE YOU ARE.
When I couldn't be with you these last couple of years, I've loved hearing about you and/or reading about you (on Bri's page). I love your loyalty to your friends (namely Bri... that video made me cry... you guys have such a beautiful friendship). You are an awesome example of what a true Christian young person should be. You are also a ton of fun and such a good sport... ready for anything (hunting.. haha). BTW thanks for helping me make my mom's birthday mosaic of Naoh's ark. I wish we could have stayed over for your birthday... we would have had a blast. Make sure and tell your mom to post lots more pictures of you on her blog.
I hope you had a wonderful birthday Chantal... You are a precious jewel and I love you to pieces. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Aunt Leigh

Lorraine Bertram said...

Olivia, Sammy, and Daughter Von,

Thanks for your sweet words. We think you guys are pretty special too!!!!

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

This was a beautiful post. Your daughter seems wonderful. I loved the way she would try and make her friend smile. When My mom was dying, she had friends like that too and it meant the world to all of us and especially my Mom.
I also have been blessed with a beautiful daughter after three sons.
I enjoy your blog.

Lorraine Bertram said...

Holmes,

Thanks for the nice comments!

God Bless You.

Mary Frances said...

Awww...thats awesome hearing what your daughter did for her friend!!! My brother was diagnosed with Luekemia when he was 16 and I remember spending many a nights with him in the hospital!!! You can learn to have fun in the midst of utter destpair!!!