Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Personal TomTom

Anybody that knows me well, knows that I am...(well, let's put it politically correct)...I am 'directionally challenged'.

The Mayo's (My brother and sis in law) were in LA on vacation, so we met to just be together, and to SHOP! Chantal and David, Audrey and Zach (Jonathan was on a hot date! LOL) went to Disneyland, while we (the old crusty parents) had a very enjoyable breakfast at the Disney Grand Hotel, then embarked on a day at the Garment District in the City of Industry. Ellen had never been there, and the guys went off to drink coffee, snack, and talk preacher talk. SO, that left if up to ME to get myself and my cute SIL to all the GOOD shopping spots. Very interesting it was.

On the trip from our fun disney breakfast to the Garment district (we're talking TONS of traffic...took FOREVER to get there) my heart began a very rapid beating in my chest. I was getting nervous. Responsibility weighed heavily on me. I am not in denial. This lady knows that she lives in a constant state of LOST! I couldn't disappoint my SIL and waste the day walking in circles....So, I had a very BRIGHT idea. I called my personal tomtom Susan Hill. LOL It was hilarious. Throughout the day...(all day long --no joke). She sat faithfully by her phone, and took me step by step through the treacherous caverns of the Garment District. "Okay Lorraine, are you stepping out of the store now? Okay, take a left and walk a block. When you see 11th, take a right"..."are you at 11th yet? Okay start turning right. Very good, you are doing good. Now walk straight for 2 blocks, and when you see the McDonalds,..." It was HILARIOUS!!!! She is so very patient and sweet...and let me tell you, the girl knows her stuff. So, I have to give a shout out to Susan, and thank her for saving the day. We had a VERY successful day, found all the good spots, and came home with dislocated shoulders from all the bags we were carrying.
We ended the evening with the whole Mayo and Bertram clans enjoying a scrumptious meal at Cheesecake Factory.

One more day in the life and times of a directionally challenged female!

5 comments:

Misti Wiley said...

Hey Aunt Lorraine,
Yes, my mother is awesome at directions. It was funny because I was at her house the day that you kept calling, everytime the phone would ring, she would say, "That is probably Lorraine!" LOL!!!! Love and miss you much.

Misti

Janell said...

Hahahaha! Too bad the don't make personal GPS systems! =D I'd love to visit the garment district, I've heard all my life how awesome it is and just haven't made it there yet.
I love the header picture by the way! Very cute!

Susan Hill said...

Lorrain! I just read this blog!! Been too busy with parties to look lately!! You are welcome and I'm glad you had a great day! It was fun "guiding" you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorraine...just happened upon your blog. Im wondering if Susan gives out her number for "on call direction"? hahaha! My 1st and only time in L.A. garment district, I was sooo lost and the friend I was calling didnt know ANY names of streets!!! Jeeze!!!

Lorraine Bertram said...

Misti, Janell, Susan, - I love my friend!!!! Susan is always the one organizing everything...The BRAINS of the group!



Tasha - I am so glad you visited my blog! I can't believe that anyone is more 'directionally challenged' than me! LOL
Next time you go to L.A. call me, and I'll give you Susan's number! LOL